5 Ways Preplanning Your Own Arrangements Can Simplify Your Life
If you’ve attended a funeral for a loved one, you may have found your mind wandering to the details of your own final farewell. Is there special music you would like performed? Certain readings you want included? Maybe you would prefer a more celebratory tone than a somber one.
Many New Yorkers we’ve talked with at Moloney Family Funeral Homes have mentioned feeling surprised by how many strong opinions they have while considering their own end-of-life arrangements. That’s what we’re here to help with. Our professional team is available anytime to help you put your preferences in writing. Here are five ways preplanning will simplify your life.
- You can take your time thinking through your options. Most funerals are put together in about a week. After someone dies, their family gathers to sort through the 100+ decisions that need to be discussed. When you make many of these decisions yourself ahead of time, you have the luxury of considering each element. This includes the details that might get overlooked if someone else plans your funeral.
- You can ease your family’s stress. Many families we talk with in Lake Ronkonkoma, Bohemia, Holbrook, Central Islip, and Center Moriches are caught off guard by the emotions they experience after a loved one’s death. Imagine your family trying to figure out what you would have wanted at your funeral. They probably would not agree on every detail, which can lead to conflict as each person thinks they know best. When these decisions are already made, you can eliminate the need for your family to debate, discuss, and guess what you would have wanted. Think of how much easier it will be on your family if the funeral plans are already in place.
- You will be in control of the finances. While there is a common misconception that if you choose to preplan, you also have to prepay, at Moloney Family Funeral Homes that is not the case. If you prefer, we can simply save all of your preferences for when the time comes. Keep in mind, though, that there are advantages to prepaying, including taking the burden of paying for the service from your family’s shoulders. When you make these decisions in advance, you can have confidence that your family won’t overspend. It’s common knowledge that those who are grieving often throw caution to the wind and spend more during times of duress. This won’t be an issue if your decisions are already in place.
- Your information will be easily accessible. We’ve heard many stories about a loved one who left end-of-life directions in their will or a safe deposit box – but these were not opened or read until after the funeral. When you preplan, you can have confidence your wishes will be at the ready precisely when they are needed.
- You will have peace of mind knowing your preferences will be honored. Because we will keep a detailed list of all your plans on file at no cost, you can walk away relieved that your arrangements are in place exactly as you envisioned.
Like with so many other parts of life, a little planning now pays off later. Whether you’d feel more comfortable with a large funeral or a smaller, private service, whether you prefer cremation or traditional burial, your preferences will be followed. In all our years helping New York families preplan, one thing has remained the same: No one ever regrets putting their arrangements in place, and we’ve made the process as easy as possible. You can preplan using our online form, over the phone or video chat, or in person at one of our seven locations. We even have a preplanning checklist available that outlines all of the documents needed to complete the arrangement process. We encourage you get started today to simply your own life and the lives of those closest to you.